Re: non-running '65 spider - help?

Hi!

Simon Favre <simon@domain.elided>

Wrote:
> If it's backfiring out the carb, you must have it 180 degrees out. You
> can verify the orientation of the cams without pulling the cover. Pull
> the spark plugs and have one person rotate the engine by hand while the
> other looks down the #1 plug hole. The sequence of operations is, exhaust,
> intake, compression, power. Once you see the intake valve thru the #1
> spark plug hole, the next time you get to TDC, the engine is lined up.
> At that point, the disty rotor should be pointing at the #1 wire. If not,
> rearrange the wires at the disty cap. Set the static timing and it should
> fire.

Simon is right, you're 180 degrees out . . .
BUT:

When I redid my 33 engine (4 cyl nord is same in this issue),
I assembled the oil pump incorrectly: the oilpump axle grips the
distributor axle in only one way. When you're tired and want the thing
to run, the axle fits in two ways :) (there's a slit in the oil pump
ax and two "fingers" in the dist. ax, which both are a little offset
from the center) The oilpump axle is driven by the crank, and in it's
turn drives the dist. axle. When I took the car for a test drive, all
was well until after 5 km's, the "slit & fingers" suddenly turned into
the correct position. Restarting resulted in "firing through the carbs".

Maybe this has happened to you. So remove the distr. and reassemble
correctly.
A way to prove it's incorrectly mounted: rewire spark wires in a 4-2-1-3
fashion, if the engine runs . . . see above.

Hope to've helped...

Sincerely,

Chris Piepers
The Netherlands

'81 Alfasud Sprint Veloce (for nostalgic reasons)
'83 Alfetta Q'Oro (daily driver, since the Milano is waiting for it's
new heart)
'86 75 2.5V6 (Milano)
(I just LOVE those transaxles)
BTW: If you don't understand my technical english, feel free to ask
and/or correct me :))