Re:

Abe,

Thanks for the advice.  It had been running a little rough,
but not terribly.  I decided to go over the simple stuff
again, but real thoroughly this time. Yes, I had spark at
the plugs, and the timing light worked fine too.

Finally, I checked the rotor visually.  It was supposed to
have a black resistive goop between the center contact
and the outside contact that rotates between the leads to
the spark plugs.  The resistor had entirely blown itself
away!  Apparently there was enough spark to jump that
1/2 inch (over a centimeter) and spark a plug in the air to
ground, but not enough to fire a plug in compressed mixture.

Jay Wardle

Abe Kheraz wrote:

> Jay;
>
> 1.  Your battery is too low

Actually, I think that ~10 volts while cranking is probably
not too bad.