Re: SPICA Belts, just curious

Mike Nakamura wrote:

>I learned to carry a spare SPICA belt, as it's a part not found at NAPA
>stores.
>Drove 72 Spider 80K, 75 Alfetta 75K, 71 Spider 30K, 75 Alfetta Sedan 50K,
78
>Sedan 40K, 79 Sedan 50K.
>Never had a broken SPICA Belt.  Curious to know how prevalent broken belts
>have been.

>Have you?

Mike - I'll admit, one time I did have a broken SPICA belt. It happened in
my garage. I had just finished cleaning a half inch thick layer of crud off
the front of the motor. I carefully covered the distributor cap before
beginning but didn't think to cover the little gap between the belt cover
and the crank pulley. As Fred D. said. Those belts don't stretch. Any crud
that gets in there can cause it to snap. For something to get up in there in
normal road use however would clearly be an act of God. Maybe if you dropped
the lock nut off the distributor 3 years ago and never found it.....

It could happen

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project