Re: alfa-digest V7 #519

In a message dated 3/2/99 11:38:51 PM EST, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided
writes:

<< However, I'll stick to the concept, until my dying day, there are
 considerably more
 POTENTIAL problem areas with Spicas, no matter how well maintained, than
 with Webers.

 Fred, I suspect you have intimidated many Weber advocates from staying
 out of this friendly little banter. However you're in Florida, I'm in
 California. I feel fairly safe.

 But you want to know something? I truly respect your vast knowledge of
 Alfas and that you still care about them. Still doesn't mean I have to
 always agree with your conclusions though.

I agree here. The SPICA unit is, in my opinion, a needlessly complex device to
do a very simple job. I remember years ago, an Alfa dealer who knew people at
the factory told me the use of the SPICA system was more of a political
decision than a technical one. (Alfa, being government owned at the time,
wanted only domestic content in their cars)
Preventative maintenance is good, but being a slave is not.  I speak as a
former owner of a 2000 Inezione coupe.  This SPICA unit featured a lever with
a temperature control, which one had to raise the hood, reach down, and shift
according to the ambient weather. I remember one day I couldn't start the car
on a warm morning, and I remembered the switch. I popped the hood, adjusted
the unit to "H", and the car started immediately! But  this is a bit of a
silly exercise, no?

This reminds me of a story about Enzo Ferrari. In the late 50's/early 60s just
about all of the GP cars were running FI, while Ferrari stuck to carburetors.
The constant hectoring by the automotive press was getting to the
Commendatore. A journalist asked him for the 100th time why Ferrari hadn't
made the switch, to which Enzo turned and replied hotly "Sir, if we had all
been using Fuel Injection up until now, and someone invented the carburetor,
don't you think we would all marvel at such a congenial invention?"

In any case, for the street, carbs did a fine job up until pollution regs made
precise metering a requirement.  Hmmm, wonder if those big ol'  Holleys would
fit on my 164?

Don