RE: Car insurance

I've had GEICO through 2 Alfas...but I've never had a claim
greater than windshield replacement. When it comes to Alfas
and claims, I would assume that their knee-jerk response
will be to total them -- same as other companies.

I will say this: they have been very helpful during my
current situation. I've called them twice since my 'black'
Thursday when my beloved GTV6 got smacked. The first time to
get a claims phone number for the other guy's insurance
company. They provided the number immediately and with no
questions.

The second call (today) was to request a talk with their
experts on valuation, I fell a need to know my GTV6's value
from an insurance company's perspective while negotiating
the my claim to my Alfa's assailant. The human who answered
the phone was nothing but helpful and apologized for a
5-minute hold wait while she located the appropriate person
to answer my questions. The person she provided was indeed
knowledgeable on the subject. He told me a lot about the
methods used to value our cars and quoted numbers from the
two sources GEICO uses: the Cars of Particular Interest
guide (thanks, AlfaBill for that tip!) and Hemmings Motor
News. I couldn't have asked for more help! And not once did
they ask me for a policy number or identifying information.

Just remember, most appraisers and adjusters are snakes paid
to minimize the company's losses -- it pretty much doesn't
matter which company you (or in my case, the other guy) use.
If you own an Alfa and it gets hit, chances are that they
will try to total it.

- - Eric H., Clearwater, FL
1983 GTV6 which is more than likely going to be declared a
'total loss' although her damage on a domestic car would
merit repair...I just hope I can cut a deal to keep her.