Re: SPICA vs Weber

I've seem some comparisons cited here that refer to circa '75-'79 SPICA as
compared to Webers. Well, there were no Webers here in the states during
those years and if there had been it would have been a real mess.

I once owned a 1981 Honda Accord. This car I believe had the dubious
destinction of being the last new passenger car sold in CA with a
carburetor. It was a nightmare. That carb was completely buried under a
blanket of switches, dashpots and various other stop-gap control devices
requiring no less than about 30 vacuum hoses running in all directions to
just about every point imaginable. On top of that, for obvious reasons, it
never friggin worked right. In contrast, SPICA did a pretty elegant job of
dealing with the situation until the advent of EFI.

I have a '79 Alfetta that probably has about the worst of the SPICA setups
(although I believe there was a single throttle setup in the early 80's that
may have been worse). I use the car to get to work and back daily and I can
live with it. It seems to suffer mostly from a lack of low end grunt.

BTW - only twice in the past 19 years have I been left at the side of the
road by any of my Alfas. Neither time had anything to do with the fuel
delivery system.

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project