Re: valve spring height

It's kind of like the performance springs you put in the suspension. They
are shorter too. Valve springs are specified by fitted length and fitted
load. The new springs have a higher spring rate than the old ones. This
means that at the normal fitted height, they will be under more pressure
than the stock ones. At max lift, they will be under quite a bit more
pressure than the stock ones. The pressure at max lift is important for
cam and follower longevity. The other thing to watch out for is coil bind.
Make sure that the cam (esp. a high lift one) doesn't cause the coils in
the valve spring to completely collapse. In an Alfa head, this is
difficult to observe, except by the broken pieces. ;=(