Re: What is the Alfa 90 called in the U.S.?

On Feb 22,  9:17pm, John H. (the one in Raleigh, N.C.) wrote:

> Rubbing it in, huh? We never got the 90, the Giulietta Nuova, the 33, or the
> Alfasud. Or the Arna. Or the 6. Or the late (1982-84) variants of the Alfetta
> sedans. Personally, I don't miss the boxers, and the Giulietta Nuova never
> generated lust in my heart, but the 90 (despite the odd things one hears
about
> overreaching electronics), is the Alfa I most regret being denied. Everything
> a Milano has, plus the most refined forms and best proportions of any
> 116-series cars-

Ah, now surely John you didn't expect a comment like this not to spark some
reaction?  While I admit my contact with the 90 is limited to ogling one
brought into a dealership for repair, I certainly never warmed to it's exterior
design like the 75/Milano (and I seem to recall it's interior being a little
strange too).  Nothing against the folks that have them and love them, I'm sure
they have a great deal of appeal, just not to me.

The Suds on the other hand were where I and a great many people outside the USA
cut their teeth on Alfas and first learned to love them.  I was instantly
attracted to the styling of the coupe and sprint models, and my 4-door was a
very nice looking sedan.  Mechanically the cars were true Alfas, with the
innovative inboard disc longitudinal layout (sort of a transaxle car turned
around), and the superb rev-happy flat-4 engine full of soul (with a 7800 rpm
rev limiter which was needed!).

My Alfasuds both handled very well, front-wheel drive notwithstanding, had high
limits of grip, and you could hang the back end out for fun with ease.  As you
can see, I do not subscribe to the theory that front-wheel drive cars cannot be
true Alfas, they are just different in the same way the transaxle cars are
different from live-axle models.  And they provided an affordable means of
entry to the Alfa dream within the means of many wealthless students.  If they
had been available in the US, I would certainly want to add one to my Alfa
stable (currently a stable of just one, but I'm working on convincing the wife
we need more).  It is a pity that the US was denied these wonderful cars and
cannot know what it missed.

Respectfully,

Dave J.
1982 GTV6
1978 Alfasud 1.3 4-door (now deceased, rustproofing not a Sud strong point)
1983 Alfasud 1.5 SC coupe (regretfully sold when I moved across the pond)

- --

End of alfa-digest V7 #495