Re: niche cars - regarding to OBD/OBDII

On Feb 19,  2:27pm, Jess Liao wrote:
> I do agree with Joe in principle. What I do not agree with OBDII is that
> they make the diagnostic equipment SOOOO out of reach to average mechanics,
> or home mechanics like many of us, forcing us taking cars back to dealer
> where they charge sky high price to hook your car up for diag and then
> charge you sky high price for minor tune up.
>
> IF, the OBDII is designed that everyone can hook it up using a regular
> terminal, or a notbook pc, then send the data to the manufacture over
> the 'net, and in short while, the result is either send back to you over
> web or email. This way, home mechanics like us would be able to perform
> some of the simple tasks by ourselves. Add CA and encryption if security
> measurements is required.

OBDII can indeed be read using a regular laptop.  Since it is so new, the
software for a home mechanic to do so is only just becoming available, but it
is there.  If anything, OBDII will make home diagnosis easier since all cars
must conform to a single standard (no more proprietary cables and
model-specific software).  It also requires a more detailed level of data to be
supplied than the manufacturer normally provides, for example an accurate cam
position sensor to detect misfires on a per-cylinder basis.

Personally, I think the reason people complain about losing the ability to
diagnose their cars has more to do with unfamiliarity.  Sure, a dealer will be
using a very expensive proprietary computer to do this, but the home software
will often run on a cheap outdated PC.  From my 94 Camaro, which is OBDI, I can
read an enormous amount of real-time data such as temperature, rpm, ignition
retard, and O2 sensor voltage using an ancient DOS 286 laptop, which doesn't
even have a hard drive!  The machine cost me $10 from a used computer equipment
store, and the software was <$250 including special cable.  Mostly I think
people are intimidated and have no confidence that they can do it.  This
attitude will likely change as the OBD cars get older and more people tinker
with them.

What really annoys many people about the direction OBD is going is the control
aspect.  OBDII interferes with your ability to modify your car.  For example,
if you put in a hotter cam, even one certified 50-state legal, you will
probably trigger the misfire sensor due to the rougher idle.  Put on a
supercharger, or increase volumetric efficiency too much, and the airflow meter
will set a code for excess flow.  Any of these problems will trigger the
"service engine" light, and with that lit you will automatically an fail
emissions test.  These kind of problems could possibly be solved by
reprogramming the computer, but that is difficult, of dubious legality, and
definitely beyond most home mechanics' ability.  Plus, in the long term, is the
government going to reprogram your 25 year old computer when your classic is no
longer covered by emissions?  No way.

OBDII does add cost to your car, both in hardware (cam position sensor, for
example), and development costs.  For a volume manufacturer, the later is not a
big deal.  For a niche company OTOH, it could be fatal as it must be spread
over a very few cars.  The only solution I can think of is to buy computers
from the volume car builders and adapt them.  Lastly, there is the "police
state" aspect.  OBDIII is rumoured to require each car to have a transmitter
and/or a recorder.  A cop may soon be able to issue you a speeding ticket just
by receiving your signal stating your speed, and you may find yourself liable
for an accident because you were 1 mph over the limit and the moron who hit you
wasn't.  In the US this is being fought as an invasion of privacy, but it may
yet come to pass.

Sorry to go on so much (seems to be a habit of mine), but I think this issue is
an important one for all car enthusiasts (guys and girls ;).  Unfortunately,
most (non-car) people could care less, so it will probably become reality.

Dave J.
1982 GTV6 (with no "big brother" gadgets)

- --

End of alfa-digest V7 #486