Re: niche cars - regarding to OBD/OBDII

> From: GLewis4457@domain.elided

> Whats wrong with OBD?  Actually adds a very small amount to the cost of the
> modern car.  Beats letting some inept shadetree mechanic go bumbling into you
> very expensive injection system and other places they are not capable of
> diagnosing, all at $50 an hour.  I recently took my 96 Mercury Cougar w/ 4.6L
> V8, into the shop because the "check engine" light was on.  They hook it up
> and in 5 minutes they know exactly what is wrong with it and what it will tak

I do agree with Joe in principle. What I do not agree with OBDII is that
they make the diagnostic equipment SOOOO out of reach to average mechanics,
or home mechanics like many of us, forcing us taking cars back to dealer
where they charge sky high price to hook your car up for diag and then
charge you sky high price for minor tune up.

IF, the OBDII is designed that everyone can hook it up using a regular
terminal, or a notbook pc, then send the data to the manufacture over
the 'net, and in short while, the result is either send back to you over
web or email. This way, home mechanics like us would be able to perform
some of the simple tasks by ourselves. Add CA and encryption if security
measurements is required.

Jess