Re: Electronic ignition for 1750

In a message dated 2/18/99 11:41:21 AM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

 Some time ago, was a question about chancing to electronic ignition.

 I am also going to chance electronic ignition for my 1750 GTV -71. We are
 now looking suitable Pertronix Ignitor unit with our local agent for
 Magneti Marelli S 103 B -distributor, which I have in my Alfa. For
 Bosch-distributors, there was unit in shelf, and I hope we can find one for
 Marelli too.

 Pertronix is very tempting, because assembled system is invisible, every
 part of the unit will be located under the distributor cap. Also the price
 is very competitive, for Alfa's Bosch distributor it costs here in Finland
 65 EURO (peculiar name for the currency) which is about 75 USD or 115 AUD.
 <snip>

 Everyone, If you have comments or experience about the device, please tell
 us about your experience. Especially if you knowledge is negative about the
 unit, you have last moment to save me.
 _______ >>
 I installed the Pertronix unit in the Bosch distributer of my '79 Alfetta
(nonstock obviously) 3 years ago and it has worked flawlessly.  It does retain
the rotor and distributer so those remain wear items, but simple.  Had to do a
bit of grinder work to get everything to fit nicely but it was very easy.  As
I remember there is some molding under the arm of the rotor that had to be
ground away for it to fit properly.  Car starts better and idles better.  I
think I paid about $75 USD for it.  At that time you had to find a dealer to
sell it to you because Pertronix would not sell direct.  I hope that has
changed.

Jerry in Houston