Re: Niggling Milano Problems (long)

Zamani wrote:

>4-I think I am hearing some pinging at WOT (like in 4th). I only use 92
>octane Chevron. My timing is 7 degrees advanced (stock Verde timing). I
>wonder what on earth is happening in my engine.

If the engine is indeed set to specs, it's time to see if it's really
pinging.  Try retarding the timing about 3 degrees, take it for a short
test and see if you still hear it.  If you do, retard another 3 and check
again.  If it's really detonating, it should go away.  If you still hear it
after retarding 6 degrees, suspect something other than detonation--some
other noise that's tricking you.  With all other things set correctly, you
can make a car detonate by running plugs that are too hot.  Make sure
you're running the spec'd plugs.

> I also found that
>disconnecting the 02 sensor makes the car go lean when I step on the
>gas. Voltage drops from 0.89v to 0.2v. Scary! Is this normal? When I
>connect the 02 sensor (voltage now oscillates from 0.1v-0.89v) the ECU
>compensates and the fluctuations still occur even when accelerating.

That's perfectly normal.  One of the idiosyncrasies of the Bosch (and many
other) injection systems is that they go lean under acceleration.  With the
O2 sensor hooked up, it should go slightly less lean.  It will also go rich
under deceleration.

Rich
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco