re: Niggling Milano Problems (long)

hi zamani,

unfortunately, i don't have much help for you - yust commiseration w/some of
your problems.

>1-My driver's side window rattle at certain postions. I have tightened
>all the bolts in the door behind the door panel but I still can't get
>rid of the rattle which is really irritating. The rattle only happens
>when the window is fully lowered or about 20% up. Where should I start
>looking?
===================
i got my '88 werde w/40k miles in '92 - has always done the same thing - i
assumed it was the nature of the beast.  i don't leave the window in these
positions!  :>)

>2-I can hear light clunking noise that starts becoming audible when the
>car moves. It sounds like it's coming from the driver's suspension
>pieces, but that may not be the case. I've checked for loose suspension
>fittings but could not find any. I swapped shocks, no luck there. My
>wheel bearings were replaced 2 years ago. I'm gonna check again for
>loose bolts or items that found it's way into the vicinity. Old and worn
>A-arm bushings maybe?
=============================
i had some similar noise once, bearings, ball joints, etc were good - turned out
to be the big nut on the a-arm, in-line w/the torsion bar, was loose...  also, i
get some strange noises from the front seats (driver's side butt-cushion,
passenger's side seat-back) that had me thinking 'suspension', until i realized
what it was.

>3-When going over bumps at speeds, the car shakes as if it's not welded
>properly (it doesn't feel like it's sturdy). The steering column for one
>feels a little bit wobbly when going over bumps at high speed. I'm
>making a comparison with my 155 which is more composed over bumps. It's
>kinda hard to describe but I'm thinking the Milano chassis' inherent
>lack of rigidity is the cause here. Which plain sucks! I can't close the
>door properly when the car is jacked up from the front crossmember. Is
>this a common trait? Should I just throw in a Roll Cage?
===========================
i also have to think it's the chassis' inherent lack of rigidity - much as i
love my werde, it flexes more than any other small sedan i'm aware of.  i'm sure
that the 1st crack in my werde's windshield (occurred w/in 6 months of my
ownership) was caused by body flex.  it started in the upper left-hand corner,
came down a couple inches diagonally, then straight down, paralleling the
a-pillar.  no evidence of any rock damage, either.  never did get it fixed, but
i guess i have to, now - the windshield is now so badly cracked, both rocks &
flex being the cause, that it actually drips water inside, rite thru the
cracks!?!

i'd be wery interested in an under-body brace, similar to what don eramina has
done for the spiders - anyone?

>4-I think I am hearing some pinging at WOT (like in 4th). I only use 92
>octane Chevron. My timing is 7 degrees advanced (stock Verde timing). I
>wonder what on earth is happening in my engine. I also found that
>disconnecting the 02 sensor makes the car go lean when I step on the
>gas. Voltage drops from 0.89v to 0.2v. Scary! Is this normal? When I
>connect the 02 sensor (voltage now oscillates from 0.1v-0.89v) the ECU
>compensates and the fluctuations still occur even when accelerating.
only suggestion here is typical tune-up stuff - gnu plugs, wires, o2 sensor.
also, czech electrical contacts, like loose/dirty injector wire, sensor at
thermostat, etc. - i've never had a pinging problem w/my werde - either before
or after the 's'-cams or the dimatteo/kirshtein afm/ecu mod.

good luck,

doug s.