Spider Water Pump Removal

In attempting to replace the water pump on my '88 Spider this weekend, I
discovered that the pump cannot be removed without removing the crankshaft
pulley -- there's simply not enough clearance to remove the water pump with
the pulley in place. Yet another area in which the procedures set out in the
shop manual bear little resemblance to reality.
But I digress.
1. As a reality check, anyone out there ever able to remove the water pump
WITHOUT removing the crankshaft pulley? If so, please tell me how you pulled
the rabbit out of the hat.
2. Assuming that I have to rent a compressor and impact ratchet to remove
the crankshaft pulley, can someone tell me the size of the crankshaft pulley
nut (it's a pretty big one) so that I can buy/rent an appropriate socket?
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Joe Fillip
Slightly frustrated in Swarthmore, PA
'88 Spider Graduate