Women and Cars

     not encouraged or even taught about cars, I must agree completely.
     Although I love Alfas, I'm the only female Alfista I know.  Many times
     I asked my father to teach me about cars or show me how to change the
     oil and he never took the time (telling me that's what you take the
     car to the shop for).  When I first dated my husband, he had just
     bought his Spider.  I didn't know what it was but I knew I wanted to
     drive it. (This is when he went through the painful process of
     teaching me to drive a stick shift.) I was hooked.  I started reading
     the books he had on Alfas (and other Italian cars), and the more I
     read, the more I wanted one.  Since then we've married and adopted two
     more Alfas as our "babies".  I can say I'm the only girl I know who
     can change the oil on her own car.  It's really unfortunate how women
     are not taught about things like how an engine works and what all
     those different gears are for.  It really does make manual
     transmissions intimidating and is part of the reason most women only
     like cars for their looks.
     Thankfully there is hope.  I was so excited about my 164 that the
     excitement passed on to my girlfriends, who also love my car.  I hear
     them complaining about their cars and find myself answering basic
     questions about how a car works.  This has made them want to learn
     more because they're tired of being in the dark.  When women get tired
     of being ripped off by mechanics they will get educated about cars.
     That understanding opens the door to a whole new appreciation (love?)
     for automobiles.  Sorry for the long post, but I thought it would be
     nice to get a woman's perspective on the issue.

     Monica
     '77 Alfetta
     '82 Spider Veloce
     '91 164L