re: Women and cars

>Whoever started the thread: it's your loss not to know some great
>women! Between the local Alfa club, the local Porsche club, the local
>autocross club, the webgrrls group I belong to, and the dog training
>groups I belong to ... well... let's just say we can work on cars, kick
>butt at the track, set up enterprise networks and web servers, and work
at
>problems just like any guy can!

Oh, that was me that started this little maelstrom.  It was not my
intention to note that women can't do any of those aforementioned
activities- or that they're any less talented than men at these
endeavors.  Or that there aren't wonderful women like yourself  that can
rebuild engines or pilot airplanes or develop software.   (Hell, I had
wonderful parents who encouraged any and all types of endeavors- and in
my seven years working in the male dominated computer industry, I know
lots of amazing women.)

My point, in response to those who were frustrated by women's lack of
interest in cars, was that in general, (general being the operative
word) women are not encouraged to pursue these activities, and as such,
are often reticent to pursue them, thus they sometimes need extra
exposure and assistance (as some of the dads on the digest have noted.)
I think that we need to be aware of the cultural cues around these
issues- otherwise we continue to propagate stereotypes and
misconceptions, by saying "It's just a guy thing..." , or by equally
expecting that every guy knows how to change his oil.

And so, my apologies for offending anyone by jumping on the gender
soapbox here.  Back to the show...

Robin

'67 Duetto
'92 Saab 900 (with one of those East Coast Women's College stickers on
the back)