SPICA pump gap setting

SPICAophiles,
	I'm confused.  I've read the AROC SPICA manual and it seems to be a
history of all relevant notes about the SPICA pump from the time it was
introduced until now.  And I've found contradictory instructions on how
to set the pump gap correctly from both ALFA themselves and AROC members.

	In the offical ALFA notes to setting the gap for my '74 GTV they say to
set the dummy actuator to 27mm and set the gap to .019".  Then with the
real T/A installed, the pump gap should be .019" when hot without the
long rod connected.  The T/A should measure 23mm (+- 1mm) when cold and
31mm (+- 1mm) when hot.  This leads me to think, why use a dummy
actuator at all - just use the real one and adjust to .019" when hot.
My T/A (rebuilt) will close the gap to zero when hot with the screw
under the T/A bottomed out and a 2mm shim under the T/A.

	However a following note from ALFA sez that when the engine is hot, you
will see NO gap at all with a correctly functioning T/A.  They say the
using the dummy actuator at 27mm to set the pump gap means that the pump
is 'indexed' to the correct setting thru out the range of the T/A.  This
makes more sense of using a dummy actuator.

	So, which one is it?  Measure when hot and adjust to .019" or set with
dummy actuator at 27mm and let it go?

"Is dis a system???"  Mr. Natural

Bruce Giller
Takoma 'Radiation-Free-Zone and Finally ReUnited' Park, Md
'73 Alfa GTV 2000
'86 Alfa Spider
'72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado