AVgas in 2 litre?

Hello all,

Having problems getting the Alfa running correctly, I have turned to
AVgas to reduce the pinging. The car backfires sometimes while at
other times it pings. I was under the impression that these were two
events that couldn't happen together..? I thought backfiring was the
cause of too retarded timing and pinging of too advanced timing..?

Oh well, is it safe to use AVGAS in the almost standard 2 litre
engine? It's minimum octane rating is 100 while the max is 130. I can
feel the car running better, but it would also burn hotter and maybe
cause overheating  in the combustion chamber/pistons. (no overall
overheating has happened yet) I can get AVGAS for about 95 cents
(about 30cents more than Super) which I can live with, as long as it
is not going to kill my engine. I may get the car tuned by someone (if
i really have to) for AVGAS usage, if the engine is safe.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
==

Michal Wawruszak
Melbourne, Australia
76 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT (oh baby YES!)
91 Camry wagon (hmmmmmm... well I can explain...)