AC low speed fan resistor - NOT THERE !

Following some helpful posts off-digest I decided I had to sort out the =
low speed side of my 164 cooling system and took a closer look at the =
area I would be working on. To my surprise I cannot find any sign of a =
resistor assembly of any kind,the radiator shroud is completely bare and =
there don't seem to be any mounting points for anything on it.
I have removed the bracket for the coil and the two fan relays in case =
they were hiding something, but no joy,nor can I see any resistor-type =
thing anywhere else in the vicinity.
Can anyone help? This is a 1991 (1990-build) V6 Lusso Auto RHD.
The only thing I can see that  looks at all non-standard is that in the =
wiring near the radiator a 'purple/black' wire has been joined to a =
'pink/white' wire.