catalyst shield rattle,75/Milano manual fan switch

Greetings Alfisti!
        I've got a rather unusual question regarding  my 79 Alfetta
Velocissima coupe.I Got to really look this car over today;and discovered what
I thought was a loose,rotted and rattling exhaust system was actually the
upper shield on the catalyst.It was rattling like beans in a coffee can!
(which saves buying an exhaust for now;the exhaust is spotless but the car
begs for a straight pipe)The cat is one of the round ones the Braden Bible
says the shields rattle and fall off pretty regularly.Mine hasn't fallen off
yet,it looks as though a small piece of it may be hanging on.Could I get
suggestions on taking the shield off,is there an approved way other than the
tried and true "plant your feet and yank it off method ?Should it be removed
or left on the car? Obvoiusly it was meant to serve some purpose.(Perhaps to
irritate the owner? )
        Also, the radiator mounted switch for Alfie's (87 Milano Gold) cooling
fan looks to be on the blink.I do some stop and go traffic driving now,and was
wondering if anyone has ever wired the fan to a switch to control the fan
manually. I run a 65%/35% antifreeze water mix,so there isn't really a problem
until I sit in traffic for a few minutes.I'd prefer to have the fan run off a
manual switch,since on cold days the battery shouldn't have the extra drain of
a fan while starting.
Looking forward to advice,
Terry and Sharon Akins
Alexandria,VA
1987 Milano Gold (trying to lose it's cool)
1984 GTV6 (Vito,must sell QUICKLY now due to apartment complex parking
police.It'll have to be either sold quickly or (God forbid) parted out.
1979 Alfetta Velocissima Coupe (nameless as of yet,Still giving the owners
giggles though.)