Re: 164 auto tranny questions

"Luke Kowalski" <lkowalski@domain.elided> writes:
> behold my woe....
> So, i  have a very slight slip into 2nd gear in my 164LS auto tranny. The
> extended warranty man says they will not cover it, because the oil is burnt
> (it has not been changed between 36K and the current 50, but the previous
> owner supposedly followed the factory interval service before).
Curious (I have an extended warranty)...Do you have records that the oil
was changed at 30K? The recommended change interval is every 30K. Why won't
they pay?

> two questions that i could not find an answer to on the 164 site:
>
> -is the auto tranny in the 91-93 B, L same as the auto tranny in my 95 LS?
> Does it matter if i have the sport mode, are the guts the same? (preparing
> for the worst and wondering about cost used vs. rebuilding - I plan to keep
> the car for a while).
They are different part numbers. The list price for the LS is actually less
($3600 vs $4100).

> -how hard is it to change the tranny oil and the filter yourself? is the
> access OK? Special tools? I might have to buy the Cd-rom, but maybe this is
> trivial...
Not too bad. You need the filter, plus two small o-rings. Just dump the oil
from under the car, then replace the filter from under the car. No special
tools.

- --
Colin Verrilli     Raleigh, NC     verrilli@domain.elided
'84 GTV6        '87 Milano Gold         '94 164LS Auto
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC) Treasurer
MAARC Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380
164 Home Page:    /alfa/FAQ/164
NOS Alfa Parts for sale: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380/cbvparts.htm