164 auto tranny questions

behold my woe....
So, i  have a very slight slip into 2nd gear in my 164LS auto tranny. The
extended warranty man says they will not cover it, because the oil is burnt
(it has not been changed between 36K and the current 50, but the previous
owner supposedly followed the factory interval service before).
two questions that i could not find an answer to on the 164 site:

- -is the auto tranny in the 91-93 B, L same as the auto tranny in my 95 LS?
Does it matter if i have the sport mode, are the guts the same? (preparing
for the worst and wondering about cost used vs. rebuilding - I plan to keep
the car for a while).
- -how hard is it to change the tranny oil and the filter yourself? is the
access OK? Special tools? I might have to buy the Cd-rom, but maybe this is
trivial...

thanks in advance.
luke

74 Spider, 82 GTV6 3.0s, 95 164LS, 98 Audi A6 Q