Re: 164 Smoke

I have recently moved house, I now need to join a busy A road (A74, with a 70
mph speed limit) with only about 200 yards or so, to get to work.  I have
noticed that there is often a large plume of smoke behind me as a reach 70
mph.  Compression tests, give 150 psi on 3 cylinders and 145 on the other.
Could this be the pistons or valve guides.

Also upon starting the engine in the morning there is a whining noise coming
from the alternator, the whining increases/decreases with engine revs, but
goes away after 10 minutes or so.  I am going to need a new alternator?

Steve
164 TS, 1992 (145,000 miles)
Cumbria UK