75 twinspark questions (long)

Now that I've done almost all that I can think of to get my 75 to run
well, its time to ask for more help. The car seems to misfire when the
throttle is wide open at low revs. From idle it takes more than 3
seconds to get to 4000 revs. Does this seem normal?
The misfiring goes away above 4000 revs, or by backing off the throttle.
Heres what I've done so far:-
Fuel pressure - connected a spare oil pressure sender in a tee off the
fuel header (after checking against a normal gauge). Connected this to
the oil pressure sender wire temporarily and grounded it with a hose
clamp gripping a wire to the sender body.
Manual says 2.8 to 3.2 bar - checks out OK under all conditions.
Timing light on all plug leads, all appear to be firing at idle, couldnt
persuade my brother to hang on the front for acceleration testing :-(
Static timing seems OK although I cannot find the mark refered to in the
manual, though it looks like about 10 deg BTDC and is steady.
TDC mark is aligned with No.1 piston at the top, cant really beleive I
checked this.
Both coils will run the car if the other is disconnected at the Bosch
plug.
One coil has a white wire about 4 inches (100mm) long connected to a
brown and white wire, but the other one hasnt. What is this? I thought
after I put it away it might be a Tacho feed, could have checked it by
disconnecting it?
Both dizzy caps and rotors seem worn, but I couldnt pull the rotor off
to see better. How do these come off? Any tips for cheap alternatives a
la 635csi dizzy cap fits 164 and is cheaper?
Rotors line up with contacts at TDC or close to.
Timing variator actuator works off the car with a big cork in the hole,
though the engine runs just the same with the wires off it, or with it
wired to the battery all the time, I suspect I have to take it apart but
this shouldn't make it misfire? Any tips on taking it apart, like get a
rebuild kit for cheap from the dealer before starting?
Spark plugs are new and gapped to 0.6mm (25thou)
Anybody got any guesses please?
- --
Jonathan Coates
1988 75 twinspark etc.