Re:Re:Milano Motor Swap ??'s

Brian Shorey wrote:

> if you're buying a wreck you'll be pulling two motors and installing one.
> the toughest part of the job is getting the brake master cylinder out of the
> way.

- ---------
Yeah, now that I look at it again, it looks like the master cylinder will get
in the way.  Funny, my workshop manual doesn't mention that part.  Then again
my milano workshop manual doesn't have ANY information on non-ABS brakes!     I
assume the tough part of moving the brake master cylinder is disconnecting it
from the brake pedal under the dash???
- -----------

> unless you're absolutely certain of the history of the donor motor, i'd do
> the tensioner, belts, rear seal, and maybe even the head gaskets with it out
> of the car.  of course once you start pulling heads why not do guides, ...

- --------------------------
The donor motor had the cam belt done 6k ago so I am assuming that the belt
and the cam seals (??) are fine.    As far as the head gaskets and
guides......  when do these items tend to fail.  (let us assume the the car was
not built on monday!)    The donor motor has 100K miles on it.  I would hate to
blow a gasket in 6 months and be back to square one.

When I see the car I will check the oil pressure, water temp an hopefully
compression.  (Any advice on a compression gauge that will work well with an
Alfa V6? )  Is there anything else I can look for that will help me determine
the condition of the motor.

Thanks for the advice!!

Jason Ball- madmac @domain.elided
87 Milano Silver
85 Subaru 4wd Wagon (A SUV that doesn't SUK)
91 Novara Arriba  (21 speeds and zero emissions)