Build a custom Transaxle?

I'm in process of deciding what to do to build a transaxle that suits
both me and my car.  Some background:

I've got an 82 Balocco.  Recently installed a streetable but fairly
modified 3.0 engine from a Milano Verde.  Sperry heads, larger intake
plenum, cams, headers, optical ignition, modified L-jet components
etc...

I installed an LSD trans from the same Verde, hoping it would be fine
(supposedly had 15k miles).  Turns out it whines like hell and needs 1-2
synchro.  It has to come out, at least for a rebuild.

Larry Jr. at APE tells me that the whine I hear will never go away
completely.  The local Alfa garage guys tell me that some Milano
transaxles had a common problem with a bushing at the end of the long
shaft.  The bushing is made of soft material, gets worn/chewed and
causes an alignment problem that results in a whine under load in all
gears.  Do I toss the trans I have?  I paid nearly $800 for it.

I miss the tall final drive (3.4 something) of my original 82.  I know
most people hate that ratio but I rather liked it.  First gear was
useful -- taking you up to about 40 mph before shifting...

Giving some thought to rebuilding my old 82 gearbox(which I still
have):   I feel like my new 3.0 has plenty of torque and power to make
up for the diminished acceleration that comes with the tall ratio box.

I want to have a gear set lightened so that I can shift faster and not
have to replace sychros for the rest of my life.

I'm not going to be racing the car, although I may play around with time
trial and such with the local AROC.  I'm building this car as a daily
driver (OK, it's a fast daily driver).

Another objective of my project is not to be without a car for weeks
while this is taking place.  If I modify the Verde box, the car will be
out of service...

If I'm going to spend the time and money doing a major rebuild on a box,
lightening gear sets etc... I may as well build the box that will make
me happy.  As such, I'm looking for advice on the pros and cons of
different gear sets, final drive ratios, LSD vs non-LSD, mixing
individual gears from one type box to another etc...

If you've built a custom transaxle for your car, or have been through
this decision process, I would like to know more about why you chose the
components that you did.  Who did the lightening / rebuild-combination
work?  Are there any hazards I should avoid?

Any advice you could lend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott Goodwin
82 Balocco 3.0
Austin, Texas