Re: Crankshaft seal

Marko,

There are two different seals used on the rear main. The side seals are
called "cigarette seals." The other one is a normal round type with a
lip that goes around the rear of the crank. You can do the cigarette
seals from under the car by removing only the sump. In order to do the
round one, you have to take everything off the back of the motor,
including  the flywheel. The best way to get the round one out is to screw
some self-threading screws into the round part and pry on the screws. You
can also use a slide hammer. Do NOT put anything between the crank and the
seal. You will scratch the sealing surface. The self-threading screw
idea also works on the cigarette seals. You don't really need to remove
the rear main bearing cap just to do the seals.

Since you don't have a clutch right behind the motor in an Alfetta,
there's less risk letting it leak for a while.