Re: 75 TS bad idling; report

[]  Lars reports:

Hello again, and once more, thanks everyone who wrote me suggestions.
During Xmas I spent nearly two days in the garage, trying to find it
out.
Yes, the idle speed valve was sticking, cold be cleaned out with WD-40.
It has worked perfectly for a few weeks, but today I had to clean it out
again.
[]
Around this land (Australia) WD40 is known for its short term lubrication.
It attracts dirt which gums the part up.  Whilst there could be a problem
with the crankcase ventilation, try cleaning the air flap with carby cleaner
or contact cleaner.

[]  Lars continues:
I guess the dirt comes from the crankcase ventilation plumbing; even if
the vacuum hose to
the oil mist separator is "upstreams" from the air hose to the ICV, I
guess some watermixed oil
still can reach the ICV. The air hose to the ICV is attached to he
"floor" of the big corrugated intake hose,
shouldn't it be better at the "roof"? To prevent this?
The oil separator plumbing has never worked properly as I see it, it
needs to be cleaned out quite often.
Can it be modified in some way? I've read an article on the web,
describing mod's for the ALFA 90,
but it doesn't seem to fully correspond to the 75. I'm thinking of
adding an extra jar beween the vacuum hose and
the separator, to be drained out sometimes.
[]
I have to agree, they require frequent cleaning.  However I don't think that
the buildup I get is a problem, it fills the corrugations in the bottom of the
ICV!  I wipe it out about once a year.  As long as the flap can move freely
nothing is effected.

Other Twin Spark owners may also be interested in my experience with a
failed rotor in the camshaft distributor.  It was the obvious problem when I
was trying to work out why the car was surging under power.  The timing light
soon showed no spark to all 4 spark plug wires.  The ALFA dealer would only
sell a whole Bosch distributor, but the after-market guys have a rotor and
shaft that was easy to fit. ( Facit brand (like the printers?!)

One question I had was "what is the correct lubricant for the shaft?"  It
doesn't seem to get any oil from the head. Any guesses?

So once again all power is being released!

Cheers,
david
1989 ALFA75 Twin Spark.  130000 kms