Re: rear ended...again

In a message dated 1/16/99 10:01:33 AM Central Standard Time, talin@domain.elided
writes:

<< Before I go toe to toe with the adjuster I would appreciate
 any informaton on book value and retail value on the car, an
 '87 silver 5 speed, in great shape "sob", aprox 90,000 miles.
 Do you think I can buy the car back, I can use the drivetrain
 in my GT6.
 Any advise is greatly appreciated
 Bill
 Dallas >>

You will almost certainly be able to buy it back. What is the insurance
company going to do with a wrecked '87 Milano and your good will? I assume
that since the offender split we are talking about your insurance company? If
so, then unless you have special coverage it will be difficult to get more
than book value, probably around $1000 - $1500. Fight alot and you will get
more, but not much. On the bright side you should be able to get the wreck for
next to nothing. Some insurers sell it back at a fixed rate 10-20% of the
settlement, others will demand that you pay the best offer of their salvage
yards, which might be less than 10%. Good luck.

John Katos