Re: Alternator Replacement in COLD

In a message dated 01/15/99 18:15:18, you wrote:
<<I used your method the first time I changed my alternator, however, that is
the spring-summer-fall method. It is a little tight to get those bracket bolts
off, necessitating laying on your back for a period of time. In -5 degF on
concrete or asphalt, in a driveway or unheated garage it is truly a bone-
chilling experience, which if I can avoid, I do avoid.
Thanks,
John Katos>>

Good Day Alfa Friends and neighbors,
   While I don't know squat about the replacement of the above mentioned
alternator. I have, over the course of the last two years of winter Alfa
Driving learned a couple of tips for easin' the grief involved in laying under
a frozen Alfa out on the frozen driveway, turning frozen wrenches While the
wind whistles up your pants leg.
   Tip 1. Allocate about three times the normal repair time, at least. Be
happy and work slow. Take lots of breaks. If you get even a little frustrated,
take a break.
   Tip 2. Get yourself a 4x8 foot sheet of 2 inch thick rigid insulating
styrofoam. Lay on this sheet of styrofoam any time you need to be under the
car. You will stay about a thousand times warmer. You can even use the sheet
(or a smaller piece) like a creeper. My dad taught me this tip. He's a welder
and uses this styro foam trick whenever he welds under a vehicle. It works
even better for welding because the hot slag and sparks that fall off the
welding electrode tip melt right through the styrofoam keeping them from
burning his back. My Dad = genius.
   Tip 3. Heat gun. Use an electric heat gun to warm the parts you are working
on and also to warm your gloves. This is great for rubber boots that would
surely crack in the cold. Of course you can easily melt rubber boots and
fingers too, so be careful.
    Has anyone used the "Mechanix" gloves I see advertised and used in
"European Car" magazine? Are they of any use?
See ya,
JimboMGA@domain.elided
1984 GTV6 (graunch, a slower graunch in the winter, but a graunch all the
same)
1969 912 (44/56 front to back weight ratio is so important for a vehicle that
gets stored 4 months out of the year, it ensures that all 4 tires have the
same flat spot)