Re: Koni shock life

> Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:25:40 -0700
> From: giuliakev@domain.elided
> Subject: Koni shock life
>
> I have Koni shocks on my car, they were on the car when I purchased it 15
> years ago.  The shocks are not leaking, and seem to be performing fine.
> I know that in the 70s that one of the Koni selling points was the
> lifetime gaurantee.  Has any one ever worn  out a set of the  red Konis
> with just street use?  I am curious how long the shocks will last.
> Thanks, Kevin
>
> 71 Spider

Yes, I have worn Konis out on a 105 series Alfa, more than once.  They last
between 60k and 70k miles.

I usually install the Konis adjusted about half way up the scale (it's been a
while, so I don't rember how many clicks).  Every 15k to 10k miles (the
interval decreases as the shocks age), I adjust the shock another click
tighter.

Generally, when the shock get to 60k to 70k miles, I find myself thinking that
the car is tired and maybe I ought to look at a different car.  That is the
sign that it is time for new shocks.

chrisp
'69 1750 Sprint
'85 GTV6