Re: alfa-digest V7 #375

> Since this replacement I'm getting a strange intermittent buzzing noise from
> the dash area when the air circulation fans are on.  There are actually two
> distinct noises...
> 1.  a constant chirping sound (sounds like a cricket) which is most evident
> on low speed fan settings.
> 2. a medium frequency buzzing that's only present when the car is in MOTION
> and seems to be sensitive to the car acceleration (no noise when car is
> stopped and not related to engine rpm).
>
> Except for the annoying noises, the HVAC works fine and the control unit
> doesn't give any error codes
>
> Any electrical genius's on the list that can help diagnose this?

Mine's doing EXACTLY the same thing. I surmise that the bearings have gotten a little loose on the blower motor, and that the fan is scraping on the inside of the heater case. That, or the
bearings are just shot. The noise does change with vehicle load; that's why I suspect the former. In either case, I have learned to live with it. I am not ready to remove the dash again, having
done the stepper motor last January when I bought the car. In your case, I believe the emergence of the problem at the time of strut/spring installation is purely coincidental.

Joel Hailey
Centerline Products
Boulder CO
303-447-0239