re: SUV hazards

Dana Loomis <dloomis@domain.elided> wrote:

> Tom Washburn wrote:
> >I think it's far from obvious or appropriate
> >that the state should force citizens off of
> >public roads for driving SUVs.
>
> It's also far from obvious why SUVs should be
> held to different standards than "normal" cars
> for safety, emissions, and fuel consumption.
> SUVs are basically being subsidized by owners
> of normal cars, while subjecting everyone to
> more air pollution and driving hazards.

I AM holding SUVs owners to the same standards as
everyone else -- I think they should be allowed
to use their public roads -- like everyone else.

I agree that the passenger safety requirements of
trucks and cars should be the same.  I imagine
most SUV owners would agree.

That SUVs subject everyone to more driving hazards
is a stretch.  Because they're more massive?
Because they don't handle as well?  Then pick a
number.  How heavy is too heavy?  Tell the cops
to pull over all offenders, be they drivers of
Chevy Blazers, Mercedes S320s, pickups, big rigs,
schoolbuses, Cadillacs, Bentley Mulsannes, etc.

> Tom further argued:
> >From a safety and pollution perspective, most
> >modern SUVs are far superior to older Alfas.
>
> With respect to emissions, this is certainly
> incorrect.  Emissions are directly related to
> engine size.

CO2 emissions are directly related to FUEL CON-
SUMPTION, which is indirectly related to engine
size.  Drivers burn no more fuel than they buy.
SUV owners pay the same per gallon as Alfa
owners.

CO, HC and NOx emissions can vary widely among
cars of identical displacement and different
vintage.  A 5.9-liter Dodge Durango pumps out
far fewer unburned hydrocarbons and acid-rain-
producing oxides of nitrogen every mile than a
carburetted Giulietta.

A lot of people simply dislike SUVs, and have
made contrived arguments for legislation in the
name of safety and clean air.  My point is that
the same arguments could be better made against
us.

- - Tom
thomasw@domain.elided