VAPOR SEPARATOR

>READY, FIRE, AIM.  I am not normally prone to take offense, but had the
>author read the balance of my message before castigating me, he would
>have noted that I stated that I clean mine out annually.  It would
>logically follow therefore, that it must still be connected since there
>would be little point to repeatedly cleaning it if it were disconnected.
>Note additionally that I expressed no desire for anyone to inhale
>crankcase emissions, nor did I advocate the disconnection, but merely
>opined that it may become more prevalent as the source of suitable
>replacement parts are diminished.  I do have my doubts that the vapor
>separator can ever be adequately cleaned once the innards start to rust
>or corrode.
If you look on the NET at various ALFA sites you will see that the older ALFAs ran the camshaft(valve
cover)breather directly into the air cleaner. The separator was a new idea in the 70s (I believe) and it did
need to be cleaned and replaced on occasion. It is cleaner if maintained but the old way also works. K+N has
for years offered breather filters for crankcase breathers and I have used them on many motorcycles. As long
as the motor is in good mechanical condition blow by is minimal. As the motor wears out the blowby increases
and can cause a mess dripping from what ever vent you are using. I recently ran into one of the senior Alfa
mechanics in the area and was discussing this with him. His experience was that many separators are not
working and actually causing back pressure that then causes leaks. He routes the hose directly to the
aircleaner and calls it good,,,,after all the older Alfas he still works on came that way from the factory.
No Flame needed.
Tom Baumen