Engine Oil

Further to my query about a technical bulletin that advised not using
synthetics in Alfas I have had helpful and reliable information that should
clarify the problem:
1) There is no such technical bulletin.
2) Several years ago ARI warned, by word of mouth, against the use of
earlier synthetics because they retarded engine break-in and would blow out
the exhaust.
3) Later, Selina was introduced in order to increase the mileage between
changes -i.e. reduce the maintenance cost of owning a 164.
4) Alfa used Pennzoil 20-50 as the unofficial standard for engine
comparisons.
5) Pennzoil 20-50 is still the (unofficial) standard for summer and year
around warm weather locations, Pennzoil 10-40 for winter in colder climes.

Oil Filter
I agree about the quality and relative ease of installation of the Alfa oil
filter. My point was not to recommend a change from that filter nor to
recommend the K & N but to draw attention to the novel and helpful idea of
an oil filter with a built-in "nut" to which you can attach a socket for
ease of installation and removal.

I have no personal interest in any of these products and am simply seeking
clarification for myself.

Ted Siverns, Vancouver, BC, 1991 164S