1991 164L Tune-up

The recently acquired 1991 164L (83,000 miles) will need its 90,000 mile
tuneup soon.  My mechanic says the valves need to be adjusted at 90,000.  I am
reluctant to have the valves adjusted because the car is running perfect.  It
is fast.  Gets about 23 miles to the gallon.  Only uses about 1 quart of oil
per 1000 miles.  Leaks no oil and there is little valve noise.  My feeling is
why mess with a good thing.  If it ain't broke... you know.  But I will defer
to the collective wisdom of the digest.  What do you think?  The mechanic also
says while he is adjusting the valves he can retorque the heads.  My response
is the same.  If it ain't broke... I am concerned his valve adjustment and
head retorquing could do more harm than good.  Your responses will be greatly
appreciated.

Mike Carman