clutch problems

I have a theory re: the clutch disengagement problem and subsequent =
breakage of the pivot pin.  Look for a blockage in the Slave cylinder =
fluid return port.  If blocked it would not allow the master cylinder =
and subsequently the pedal to return to the release position.  By =
pulling it back up you are in effect extending the pedal throw and =
forcing the clutch to over release for lack of a better description.  =
Consider if the clutch were to stay depressed as a result of the fluid =
not being allowed to return to the master cylinder.  If you then apply =
another stroke from the master cylinder to a clutch that has already =
acheived full release I suppose the force of doing so could be of =
sufficient degree to cause damage to the release fork or pivot pin.  =
Just a thought...At any rate you would be experiencing symptoms like the =
clutch not engaging properly , hard pedal and symptoms like you =
described.  A friend and I experienced the same failure on a recent trek =
to Monterey in his Quattroporte.  Rebuilding the slave cylinder and =
flushing the lines resolved the problem.  In his case the slave cylinder =
bottomed out against the bell housing prior to causing damage to clutch =
components.

Good Luck

Ian