Tires sizes, again (sorry)

Greetings from So Cal -

I am appealing to the collective wisdom (although there are some who say that
is an oxymoron) of the Digest.  This has likely been covered before, and of
course I didn't take the notes I should have.  Here goes:

I will be shortly coming into possesion of a set of 15x7 Ronal wheels for my
1976 Alfetta GT.  I currently have 14x6 light weight dish alloys off a later
model Alfetta.  I am running 205/60x14s currently.

I'd like to move up to 15inch wheels, as all/most the good rubber is leaving
the 14inch arena.  My question regards a good size of 15inch tire that will
fit on the wheels, and which will fit under the wheel wells, without
interference.

My first instinct was to go with 205/50.  But, by my calcs,these are lower
than the 206/60x14, which are in turn lower than the factory original
185/70x14.  I already have a large odo/speedo error, which I do not want to
compound.  Which leads a question as to whether the speedos are correctable.
Anyone?

I have done some other calcs, and have come up with a 205/55x15 as being
median in height; slightly taller than the 205/60x14, but not as tall as the
original 185/70.  Availability and cost are other factors with the 205/55.
Anyone got ideas as to a better way to go?  I'm listening

Thanks all -
Jay Negrin
ARO So Cal
76 Alfetta GT