in re: Oil leakage

Jaap asks if oil leakage means main seal damage/leakage.  Not necessarily.  On
my Alfetta, I was getting leakage, small pools under the rear of the motor (2
litre) and was ready to expect the worst.  (not that it was all that pretty,
in the end) but it was not a motor seal.  Nothing at all to do with the bottom
end of the motor.
I had a head gasket that was leaking the the outside of the motor on the left
side.  Wind through the engine compartment blew the oil to the back of the
motor, where it proceded to provide rust protection on all vital parts in the
vicinity.  Excess just leaked on the ground according to laws of physics and
gravity.
Bottom line, or moral, of this story is:  a quick look will not work.  You
have to be more thorough if you want to track down an oil leak. (btw - I
thought I was thorough, but still needed professional help with mine.) Clean
EVERYTHING, then trace the drips to their source.

Good luck - and happy holidays all

Jay Negrin
ARO Southern California
76 Alfetta GT