Spider clutch question

I'm working on a 1986 Spider Veloce that I am brokering... I replaced
the clutch pivot pin that was broken and the clutch seems to function
ok, the question is, The pedal doesn't return to top after use, and
feels stiff. I'll assume the shaft that the clutch assm slides on is
icky or dry. (car sat 18 months undriven) You can pull the pedal up by
hand (with resistance)and it returns to the top a few times normally
then slowly gets lower and lower til you repeat the drill... Clutch will
sometimes engage with a delayed reaction, Everything just needs
exercise, but I don't want to harm it. Otherwise seems like a good solid
car.

My theories:
Slave cylinder shot and binding? OR
Shaft is gummed up and doesn't allow clutch assm to slide easily?
Is there something I can lubricate without messing up th eclutch lining?

Thanks in advance...
- --

Bill Harkell--Tampa Florida
"Pity those who don't know the redline cry of an Alfa V-6" -Anon.
"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" -AmiSue1
Homepage: http://pw2.netcom.com/~alfabill/welcome.htm