164 stereo installation

Someone posted a query regarding installing a DIN chassis radio in a 164
recently. I typed up this whole procedure when the thread was more
timely-as I was proofing what I had written, the power blinked (there
was a snow storm going on) and lost what I had written. Disgusted, I
turned the computer off.

I hope that the interest is still there, and will proceed accordingly.

I just recently made the exact same installation in my '91 L. You must
remove the console from the car, as you will need access from the rear.
Once the console and original radio are out, here's how to do it :

You'll need two parts from the car stereo store: a Chrysler/DIN mounting
plate with all of its various and sundry mounting tabs, and a
Chrysler/DIN face plate. This last item has the OD of the Chrysler/164
radio, and a hole in the middle that is DIN sized. It is textured on the
outside to match the dash of a modern automobile, has no mounting tabs,
and is about 2 mm thick.

Remove all of the "break-off" tabs from the Chrysler/DIN mounting plate
except for the ones on the sides. Trim the right tab to about half its
original thickness. Now, turn the mounting plate around so it's facing
the wrong way, and insert the trimmed tab into the vertical slot on the
right side of the radio opening in the console. On the left side, drill
2 1/8" holes through tab and console, and secure with pop rivets.

Now, take your face plate and lightly file a LITTLE material off of the
lower right corner so that it matches the curvature of the console. Lay
the face plate over the backwards mounting plate, using a little bit of
silicone or hot glue in between to prevent any possibility of rattles.
Slide the DIN mounting shell through the face plate and mounting plate,
bend the tabs to secure, and viola, your new stereo has a snug happy
home. I was even able to modify the hunky aluminum mounting bracket on
the back of the original radio to support the back of my new Sony. The
results are perfect-the installation looks absolutely factory.

For anyone who has made it this far and cares, here is what the rest of
the installation entailed. I installed 3 amps and a crossover under the
front seats, installed a tightly sealed, non ducted box in the trunk
with two 10" Kicker subs, ran 14 gauge cable to the subs and 16 gauge to
the four factory speakers. All components were centrally grounded to one
of the factory ground points under the console. I ran an 8 gauge cable
from the battery to provide a central power point under the console,
which goes through a 40 amp fusible link robbed from under the hood of a
164 parts car. (Centralized power and ground are essential in a
component system to ensure freedom from alternator and ignition
interference). All connections were soldered and shrink wrapped. This
entire madness took 20 hours!

The results are phenomenal. Tight clean bass, silky mids, brilliant
highs, even with the factory speakers. The 164 is now cross country
capable.

BTW, most of you don't know; my other passion in life (and sometimes
occupation) is that of a theatrical sound designer-hence this ridiculous
quest for quality audio!

Cheers,
Joel