Winter oil

When we ask the question about winter oil in our Alfas we are not
concerned with the near 0 F temperatures but with -20F to -30 F. I too
asked the question a while back and the reply was put synthetic in it
and should be ok. First winter I put 15W-50 Mobil 1 in one of the 164s
and 10W-40 Selenia in the other 164. At -30F the one with the 15W-50
fail to start (battery was good) the other one no problem. I have also
tried 5W-50 Castrol Syntec with good results. I was also told by an Alfa
mechanic that never put less that 40 weight in an ALFA so a 5W-30 will
be out of the question. This year I am running 10W-40 synthetic in both
the 164s and I am not expecting any problems.

Eug. Christodoulou
91 164
91 164L
Minnesota