RE: Milano Verde questions

Michael Harris wrote:
 =

> On Wednesday, I bought a '88 Milano Verde (75 3.0 liter) - seems
> like a great car...
> Where must the (ABS) brake master cylinder assembly be removed
> in order to remove the driver side head? Is this the same as
> the GTV6 where you have to remove the 4 mounting bolts from
> inside the driver side foot well?

Yes. BTW, When you put the valve cover back on, I'd suggest
replacing the stock socket-head bolt with a standard hex-head
bolt, for the bolt under the brake MC. It will make it much
easier to remove the valve cover in the future.

> Is it possible to install the non-ABS brakes from a Milano Gold
> or Silver?

Yes. If you decide to replace the Milano ABS system with
conventional brakes, check out my article "Milano Alchemy:
Adios ABS!" at:

   http://www.catenary.com/victor/isaluti

Select "Feature stories," "Brakes," and "Milano Alchemy."

[In terms of diagnosing ABS problems, Shiv Sikand's excellent
article "Debugging the Milano/75 ABS System" is also at the i
Saluti website.]

I removed the ABS system from my Milano Pt in Feb '97 and
installed a conventional braking system as installed on the
Milano Au. The only really difficult part to find is a Milano
Au/Ag pedal box. Almost all other parts can be purchased new
or off a trashed GTV6 or Milano.

I understand APE in CA is a good source for an Au pedal box.
Tom Zat at Alfa Heaven may also have them available.

I originally estimated the procedure would take about 6 hours.
It probably took about 12 hours if I ignore the time I wasted
on problems unrelated to the swap. =

Most difficult parts:

1) Removing old pedal box from car. Pedals hung up on dash. Had
to loosen dash and use more force than finesse.

2) Bolting new pedal box in place. Studs are hard to get to from
footwell. Nuts are hard to start. You must have skinny hands and
reach way up. Tightening them wasn't too bad with a 13mm universal
socket and a 12 inch 1/4 inch drive extension.

3) Removing cotter pins from old clutch MC and brake MC and
installing new cotters on clutch and brake MCs. Access is really bad.

Good luck,

Rich
'87 Milano (Pt -> Au)
'78 Spider