Renting Alfas in Italy

This thread surfaces about every 6 months, the last time over the past few
weeks, and I have a procedure for renting an Alfa in Italy from Avis that
should work with other rental companies.   I make the reservation as usual,
requesting an Alfa and being told they could not guarantee an Alfa but only
that they could guarantee that specific class of car.  Then, before
departing for Italy, I call the Avis counter at the airport in Italy (get
the number when you make the reservation), tell them I own three Alfas and
that I absolutely have to have an Alfa.  Once I was even asked what color I
would like (red was my response), and when I went to pick up the car a new
red 155 1.8 Twin Spark was awaiting me in the VIP slot.  This procedure has
worked at both of Milan's airports (Malpensa and Linate).  The only time it
failed was in October 1997 when I requested a 155 and was told they were to
old and were no longer available (this was a few months before the 156
arrived).  My wife and I are flying to Milan later today, and the first
this morning I called the Avis counter at Malpensa and requested a 156
(I'll take one in any color).

Bob Cess, Stony Brook, NY