164 Radio

David Nolen asked about installing a DIN-sized radio in his 164. I installed
a Pioneer receiver/CD player in my 92 164S last year. It was designed to fit
in the Chrysler cars and vans with oversized radio openings. Since the 164
uses the same oversized Chrysler radio as the Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler
cars, the Pioneer receiver is a good fit. It's not as deep as the stock
radio, so you can't bolt the chassis of the Pioneer receiver to the mounting
plate behind the stock radio, but the trim holds it in just fine. I used the
DEH-P75DHR. Pioneer also offers the DEH-P85DHR with more bells and whistles.
I bought it from Crutchfield because they offer a direct wiring adapter for
the 164 free with the order.

Rich Lasner
Mill Valley CA
92 164S