RE: Winter Storage

Good post by Bob Rand on storing an Alfa for winter, though I'd
take exception to a few minor points:

> Raise the car off the ground and support by placing
> large, solid wood blocks under the rear axle...
> The front can be supported either under the spring pans, the
> jacking points, or the frame rails. I prefer the spring pans
> because it puts less stress on the body.

I think it's been mentioned on this Digest before that the spring
pans move and are therefore an unstable base for jack stands. I
think the frame rails are the best front support points.

> Bushings - Spray some silicone on all the bushings to keep
> them pliable and reduce squeaks.

Don't use WD-40 or other "protectants" that might possibly
degrade the rubber of the bushings.

> Engine oil - If it has not been done within the last month,
> change it and the filter now...
> Because of condensation over the winter, remember to change
> the oil again in the spring to get rid of the water sitting
> on the bottom of your sump.

Certainly couldn't hurt, but it seems sort of wasteful and
unnecessary to change the oil again in spring if the car hasn't
been driven all winter.

> Drain the entire [cooling] system as much as possible. Replace
> with the appropriate percentage (50/50) of quality antifreeze
> and distilled water. This will reduce the pH inside your
> aluminum block and prolong engine integrity by reducing the
> acidity of the coolant. =

Great idea to change the coolant, but in terms of the explanation,
reducing the pH actaully increases acidity. [Low pH =3D acidic,
High pH =3D basic]. [Quibbling alert!]

> Wheels/Tires - Rotate wheels/tires by hand a few revolutions
> every couple of days to keep bearings and seals loose.

Every couple of days??? Somebody's got too much free time. :^)

Rich Hirsch