164 LS cooling issues

I drove from SF to LA this weekend. The car was flawless on Highway 101 --
stable and quick. The operating temp always hovered about 190 degrees F.
After driving through LA traffic for an hour -- on clogged freeways and
surface streets -- the temp gauge shot up (no surprise there). When I
finally arrived at my downtown destination and shut off the engine, mucho
coolant came out of the expansion tank's overflow hose. I've mentioned this
problem before on the digest.

The high-speed electric cooling fan only comes on when the the temp gauge is
at 225 (and only at 30-60 second intervals). The low-speed fan doesn't seem
to work (I've checked it with the A/C on). Several helpful people have
suggested I change the cooling fan resistors (I've ordered the replacement
kit). What about the thermo switch -- should that be replaced too? I've also
read on the homepage that some people have had problems with a lack of
pressure in the expansion tank. Finally, I assume that the thermostat is up
to spec as the car warms up nicely, but should that be changed as well?

Even in an ambient temp of 86 degrees, with 225 on the gauge, and in awful
stop-and-go traffic, the temp warning light never came on. Aside from urban
cooling issues, the 164 is a great road car.

Paul Cuadra cuadra@domain.elided
95 164 LS and Moto Guzzi Sport

PS -- Every third person in LA was yapping away on their car phones. I even
observed some people backing out of driveways already on the cell phone!
Folks, take pride in your driving.