Cutting Springs

Any advice as to how best to cut a coil or so off 105 series
Alfa front springs?

My thought is to use a cutting wheel in an angle grinder and take it
slowly (stop/start) so as not to get it too hot and affect the
temper. I've read suggestions for other cars to heat and reshape the
cut end, but I'm not sure that it is really needed (??) for the 105
springs which are very well located. I figure that the least heat
that goes into the spring the better.

Has anyone had any experience with how much you need to take off to
get approxmately 25mm reduction in ride height? I've put the spring
in a testing machine and measured the original loaded length and
rate, so I'll do the same with the modified spring, perhaps more than
once if I need to. Even the first test was an interesting comparison
with theoretical rate calculations, factory data and aftermarket
springs: I'll add the modified case data to my ride height and spring
rate information and update the digest when I've finished..

Better get back out to the garage and paint the repaired spring
pans... it's gotta be going again by Christmas!!

Mark.
Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand

1974 2000 GT Veloce