re: cutting springs

>From: M.Battley@domain.elided
>Subject: Cutting Springs

>Any advice as to how best to cut a coil or so off 105 series
>Alfa front springs?

Install cut side to location that will be least affected by loss of
flattened end of spring.

>My thought is to use a cutting wheel in an angle grinder and take it
>slowly (stop/start) so as not to get it too hot and affect the
>temper.

It shouldn't get too hot doing it that way. I've used my lowly dremel
moto-tool with cutoff wheels in the past and it works fine.

>I've read suggestions for other cars to heat and reshape the
>cut end, but I'm not sure that it is really needed (??) for the 105
>springs which are very well located. I figure that the least heat
>that goes into the spring the better.

I think you figure right.

>Has anyone had any experience with how much you need to take off to
>get approxmately 25mm reduction in ride height?

Cut in half coil increments, install and measure. Probably full coil will
be about right but its much easier to cut more later than glue that half
coil back on.

Michael Williams
Sacramento, California US of A
69 Duetto