Bearings and grease

There's been a lot of useful advise lately on changing front wheel
bearings, next time, I think I'll try to do them myself.

However, one thing puzzles me: several contributors talk about the need
to completely pack the bearings with grease. I always thought this was
the wrong thing to do as it causes hot running. I checked this with a
colleagure here (practicing mechanical engineer, I'm just a mechanical
engineer who thinks he's a statistician) and he agrees with me.

I would have thought the most important thing is to get the right type
of grease for this demanding application, one that will stay in place
and keep working for the life of the bearing.

Any comments?

Willo in Dublin